It is inevitable to agree that it is not a cakewalk to install printer drivers in Linux operating systems, especially when you are new to the OS or just migrated from Windows. But, wait, this is not the fault of Linux, but the printer software makers, who concentrates only on big markets like Windows. Thanks to CUPS, which is a modular printing system for Unix-like computer operating systems which allows a computer to act as a print server.
Coming to the point, I’ve just installed Ubuntu 18.10 Cosmic in my office computer and struggled to install the LBP2900 or LBP2900B printers, which are widely used here. Finally, I’m able to install it. Let’s learn how to install this printer, with step-to-step, that even a complete new Linux user can understand.
How to install LBP2900 Printer in Ubuntu/Linux?
- The first step is to download & install the drivers.
- Go to the Canon Asia website (or any other Canon website) and download the CAPT Printer Driver for Linux Version 2.60 from this link.
- Extract the folder and go to the 32-bit / 64-bit drivers folder as per your system’s properties. There you can see two files with the names “cndrvcups-common_2.60-1_i386.deb” and “cndrvcups-capt_2.60-1_i386.deb”.
- After entering the folder, right click there and click on “Open in Terminal”.
- Now, enter the following commands in the terminal.
sudo dpkg -i cndrvcups-common_2.60-1_i386.deb
sudo dpkg -i cndrvcups-capt_2.60-1_i386.deb
- Restart the printer by entering the following command:
service cups restart
- Now add the printer and start the Canon Printer daemon (Enter the following commands one after one).
sudo /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p LBP2900 -m CNCUPSLBP2900CAPTK.ppd -v ccp://localhost:59787 –
sudo /usr/sbin/ccpdadmin -p LBP2900 -o /dev/usb/lp0
sudo service ccpd start
sudo service ccpd status
- After entering the last status command, you should see “active” status.
- Now, check the printer status:
captstatusui -P LBP2900
Now, you should see “Ready to Print” status and you’re done. In case you’re not seeing the Ready to Print and it is asking to check the cables properly, simply turn off the printer and switch on again.
If you are facing any further problems, let us share in comments 🙂 Happy linux!